1. Barbed Wire fencing was created in 1873 at a County Fair in Illinois. A farmer presented the idea which would later serve as the inspiration for chain-linked fences.
2. An alternative to building a fence in early times was to dig a deep ditch or trench and fill it with water (called a moat) that would keep attackers out.
3. Fences that were hidden in ditches were called Ha-Has.
4. Fences are not to be confused with walls. They are usually made from lighter materials and actually serve a different purpose.
5. The Great Wall Of China is not visible from space. It is no more than several times wider than your average vinyl fence.